1) Albert Greene (April 13, 1946), best known with the stage name of Al Green, is an American singer and songwriter.
2) Most of his musical interpretations belong to the Gospel and soul genres.
3) It has been vastly recognized for merging these different musical styles, achieving the union of the secular music with the religious.
4) During the 1970s, he became one of the best-selling musicians of the time.
5) Greene began his musical career when he was nine years old, in a quartet known as the Greene Brothers, in the company of his brothers Robert, Walter, and William.
6) His father expelled him from the musical group because Albert listened to the music of Jackie Wilson and because he expressed his interest in starting a musical career.
7) Greene and his high school friends decided to form a pop band, which they baptized with the name of Al Greene & the Creations. The group was in effect for three years and recorded some musical successes under the Zodiac label.
8) After one year of the group’s separation, the members rejoined, and this time they were called Al Greene & the Soul Mates, coming to get great fame with the song «Back Up Train,» which reached position 41 on the list of 1968 hits.
9) Despite the originality and liveliness of this musical project belonging to the genre rhythm and blues, and produced by the label Hot Line, the album did not achieve good sales.
10) He was ordained as Reverend of the Tabernacle of Pentecostalism. Consequently, religion became the most important thing in his life, but without abandoning his fondness of singing
11) In the year of 1995 it was included in the Hall of Fame of the rock’n’roll, and nine years later in the Hall of the fame of the Gospel.
12) In 2002, Green received a Grammy award for his musical career called Lifetime Achievement Award.
13) In 2004, Rolling Stone magazine placed it in the position 65 of its list of the Hundred Immortal Artists (100 Greatest artists of All Time).
14) In the year 2008, Green received an award for his entire artistic career called Lifetime Achievement Award during the BET Awards event.